Cody Woputz - AR/VR Creative Technology Portfolio
Cody woputz here!
I'm a technologist that specializes in using real-time 3D engines to push AR/VR in responsibly novel ways.
Across my portfolio of work, I infuse deep talents in creative design, production, engineering, and research.
SEE FOR YOURSELF:
Make live conversation fun, immersive, and easily shareable.
1) 3D engine development (Unity) 2) React Native 3) Figma UX 4) Google Cloud (Firebase) 5) BigQuery SQL+Tableau
1) Shipped iOS TestFlight beta to hundreds of early users 2) Ashton Kutcher tried it and chatted LA crime statistics 3) Collected robust user data to inform product updates and priorities 4) Built 3D visuals in Unity, paused development until further resources
Sankey User Migration!
Enable brands and enterprises to lift the experiential power of VR in training and marketing.
1) Built prototype, then shipped and scaled launch product to first 25 enterprise customers 2) Managed product roadmap and updates until Seed round 4) Spun off a creative agency called Strivr Studios that served brands such as: Visa, Bank of America, and Lowe's 3) Company raised a total of $86M and now works with Fortune 500 companies such as Walmart and Verizon
Virtual Human Interaction Lab
Remodel and reinvent a cutting-edge virtual reality research facility for student, faculty, and visitor use.
1) 3D engine development (Unity, Python+OpenGL) 2) 3D modeling tools (3D Studio Max, Blender, Maya) 3) Custom hardware installations (VR, room scale tracking, CAVE, ambisonic audio) 4) Community outreach and tours
1) Shipped weekly software updates necessary to run hundreds of social science experiments 2) Managed dozens of computer science students new to digital content creation (DCC) tools 3) Hosted and led tours for thousands of visitors, including: executives, press, and celebrities (Mark Zuckerberg visited in 2014 shortly before the Oculus VR acquisition)
"It was kickass!"
Identify major barriers in learning and creating user-generated content (UGC) for younger creators new to 3D real-time engines.
1) 3D engine development (WebVR) 2) 3D graphics fundamentals 3) Custom Google Cardboard viewers 4) Diverse youth recruitment
1) Made 3D engine recommendations that were incorporated into a very early alpha Facebook product (now known as “Horizon Worlds”) 2) Presented findings at Games for Change conference
The Crystal Reef
Educate about climate change through an interactive underwater scavenger hunt VR experience.
1) 3D engine development (Python+OpenGL) 2) 3D modeling (3D Studio Max) 3) Custom underwater shaders 4) HTC Vive hardware 5) Big data tracking output and analysis
1) Premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival to 600+ visitors, then toured internationally (Italy, Luxembourg, Australia) 2) Press coverage included: The Times, Time Magazine, Vice, and Salon (Michael Cera also called it “kickass”) 3) Won a “Top Thinker” award from Pacific Standard Magazine
VR for Heritage
Enable Native American tribes to tell their own place-based stories using production skills and VR.
1) 360 production (Insta360 Pro) 2) Post-production (Adobe Premiere Pro) 3) Oculus Go hardware 4) Community outreach and development
1) An original VR short film, ”Bear River, a Nation: What Can Eeling Teach Us?” 2) Story featured on Oculus “VR for Good” website, and Oculus Connect conference 3) Educational toolkit scaled to other tribes throughout Washington State
Global AR Readiness
Prepare international policy teams to understand the mechanics, ethics, and responsibilities of augmented reality.
1) Extensive literature and landscape reviews 2) Stakeholder interviews and workshops 3) Adobe Illustrator 4) Apple Keynote
People say mostly nice things:
1) A beautiful 35-page thinking tool and executive summary, which broke down AR into 8 core paradoxes 2) Resources distributed to Policy Leads in every international market area (NA, LATAM, EMEA, APAC)
Go to School/Library
Understand the market and educational value of VR in classrooms, public libraries, and at-risk communities.
1) Oculus CV1+Go hardware 2) SQL+Tableau 3) “Train the Trainer” workshops 4) Youth recruitment and community development
People say mostly nice things:
1) Evaluated and scaled virtual reality to hundreds of public school classrooms and libraries 2) Built a live dashboard delivering Oculus Store app usage analytics 3) Findings incorporated into an unannounced Meta product and led to current “Meta Immersive Learning” initiatives
Curious for more? Reach me at: Codexter at gmail dot com
Thanks for playing!